What causes potholes?

Potholes can be caused by water seeping under the pavement through cracks or from the side of the road. 
The material under the pavement erodes from the water damage causing the pavement to break and sink down. 
Winter causes the water under the pavement to freeze and thaw, causing contracting and expanding. This freeze-and-thaw cycle causes the pavement to crack. Once cracked, the pavement deteriorates under the weight of traffic, and potholes seem to appear overnight.

Why do potholes reappear?

Permanent repairs during the winter are difficult and expensive. In winter months, Public Works fills potholes
with both cold and hot patch. Temporary repairs are intended to maintain safety and minimize damage to vehicles.
Permanent repairs require waiting until spring. In spring, permanent repairs are made using hot asphalt.

How can I request a street or sidewalk repair?

To request repairs, please click here or call the Street Department directly at 806-273-0961. Service requests are 
generally checked each business day, and initial inspections are scheduled within two business days of receipt 
(weather and other circumstances permitting).

If you feel the situation is an urgent safety concern and in need of immediate attention, please do not e-mail or 
leave a voicemail through the contacts listed above; instead, please call the Borger Police Dept non-emergency 
line at 806-273-0930 to report the issue.

Who do I call if there is a dead animal on the road?

If the dead animal is on private property, it is the landowner's responsibility to dispose of the animal properly. 
If the dead animal is on public property and is domesticated (cat, dog, or other pet), please call the Animal 
Control Office at 806-273-0973.
If the dead animal is on public property and a non-domesticated (wild) animal, please call the Street Department 
at 806-273-0961.

Who do I notify if a street sign is missing or damaged?

To report a missing, damaged, or downed street sign, please call the Street Department at 806-273-0961 or
click here.

Who do I talk to about a non-working street light?

Should you notice a street light outage or a damaged light or pole, please note the Pole Number (Ex.) located 
on the pole and the address where the street light is located. Contact Xcel Energy by clicking here or
calling Xcel Energy Customer Care at 1-800-895-4999.